Thursday, February 13, 2014

30 for 30 Member Spotlight: Theresa Thomas

Hometown:  Austin, Texas

College(s) attended:  UT Austin

Job title(s) and department(s) past and present:  Academic Advising Coordinator, Senior Academic Advisor, Academic Advisor II and Academic Advisor I all in Journalism for the College of Communication, Degree Plan Evaluator I and II and Senior Office Assistant for the College of Education


How did you end up at UT in the first place?:  I was a work study in the College of Education advising office when I was a student here.  A year or so after I graduated, I ran into a former co-worker at Chuck E. Cheese, and she told me that they were hiring an office assistant for the advising office.  Since I didn't want to manage a retail store at the mall for the rest of my life, I applied, and luckily, I got the job!

What is your favorite part or being a part of ACA?  Getting to meet all the diverse and awesome people that work with our students!

Here's where we'd like an anecdote about a favorite ACA memory or a memory that includes another ACA member.  One of my favorite memories includes the Business advisors introducing me to "Under the Schuetz" (Seagrams and ginger ale) at NACADA in Las Vegas!  It's one of my favorite drinks now!  I think this involved Lovelys Powell, Michael Schuetz, Juanita Gonzalez…not sure who else I'm forgetting, but it was a great time! 

What advice would you give to new advisors or new staff members at UT?  Try to make contacts all over campus, in as many offices and departments as you can – it's SO helpful to be able to pick up the phone and call a specific person for help.

What legacy would you like to leave behind at UT? Being able to turn anything into a dirty joke.  But I'm pretty sure I've already accomplished that.


Anything else you want to tell us?  I love the new practice of having ACA happy hours.  Way to go FUNdraising Committee!

No comments:

Post a Comment